AEF Student Start-up Grants
Enquiry Email :
Organised by :
HKUST Entrepreneurship Center
***AEF 2020-21 Spring main round application is now open. Interested students please apply online by 28 Feb 2021.***
***In addition to the main round of application, applications for this Fund are accepted and processed year round.***
Info Session of HKUST Dream Builder Funds will be held at 14:30 on 10 Feb 2021 (Wed) via zoom. Interested students please register HERE for the Info Session and getting the zoom link. Thank you.
Administered by the HKUST Entrepreneurship Center (EC), the HKUST Dream Builder Funds includes the Alumni Endowment Fund Student Start-up Grants (AEF), Entrepreneurship Acceleration Fund (EAF), U*STAR Award and Yeung Wing Yee Entrepreneurs Fund (YWYEF), which are all aimed at supporting startup ideas, projects and business initiated and/or owned by HKUST members (students, alumni, faculty):
1.1 To support, in the form of funding/ award/ resources/ services, etc., for startups of different entrepreneurial stages in order to facilitate their ideation, development and acceleration;
1.2 To promote and engage HKUST members in cross-disciplinary collaboration to transform innovative ideas into concrete and value-added solutions for society; and
1.3 To foster an entrepreneurial culture among the HKUST community, cultivating and enhancing HKUST members’ entrepreneurial spirit, mindset, skills and potentials for the pursuit of entrepreneurial dreams.
2. AEF Grant Amount and Scope of Activities Covered
2.1 Maximum Grant Amount Per Project: Up to HK $10,000
2.2 Scope of Activities Covered in Startup Development:
- Product/ Service Development
- Prototyping, including justifiable equipment/ materials
- Marketing, promotional materials
- Cloud rental for trials
- Further development of existing projects
- Participation in student activities/ tours organized by EC
- Participation in external entrepreneurial activities/ competitions recognized by EC
3.1 Individual or team basis
3.2 The main applicant must be a current HKUST full-time student.
3.3 Applicants may apply for multiple funds/ awards at the same time, yet successful applicants (a.k.a. fund/ award recipients) are allowed to hold at most one fund/ award in any funding cycle (i.e. period from application, project implementation to fund/ award disbursement).
3.4 Applicants applying for the purpose of participating in overseas entrepreneurial activities including competitions, conferences, exhibitions, etc. are required to submit the funding application and supporting documents (e.g. invitation, schedule) before the event; retrospective applications will not be processed.
4. Startup Support for Fund Recipients
All fund recipients are entitled to the following startup support:
- Accelerator Space and Facilities: access to hot desk in co-working space, meeting rooms, mail box, storage locker, etc. at The BASE
- Mentoring by entrepreneurs and experts in MentorHUB@HKUST
- Advising by staff from Entrepreneurship Center
- Referrals and/or nominations to internal and external opportunities (e.g. competitions, activities, funding sources, etc.
5. Application, Terms and Conditions, Selection and Disbursement Details
5.1 Online Application
5.2 Before application, please read the Application Notes for all the terms and conditions, selection criteria, vetting procedures and disbursement conditions.
5.3 Checklist of supporting documents to be uploaded to online application:
- Budget Estimation (please download the template here)
- Proof of External Achievements/ Funds/ Awards Received, if applicable
- Other Supporting Documents, if any
5.4 Application deadline: 28 Feb 2021 for 2020-21 Spring main round exercise
The Secretariat of HKUST Dream Builder Funds
HKUST Entrepreneurship Center
Tel: (852) 2358 6021